Thursday, June 17, 2010

10 DYAB 15Y = 15K

It’s not a mathematical expression. Rather, it’s a neat way of saving space on the title line. So let’s decode. DYAB 1512 Cebu is a news and public service station owned by ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation, the country’s largest media network. It’s on its 15th year and to celebrate this milestone in AM radio broadcasting, a 1.6K, 7K and 15K runs was launched via the 10th DYAB Kapamilya Run last June 13 at the Asiatown IT Park.  


While the event marked a feat, it likewise served as a good venue for me and other passionate runners to accomplish a mission – complete our first 15K, and slowly inch our way into the next task in a newbie runner’s list, the first half-marathon. I liked how a fellow blogger termed it – “half-mary” ('tol, pahiram ha).


As usual, the first 20-30 minutes of running was the most excruciating part. The uphill-downhill Banawa terrain sure did bring some spice. I had to brisk walk the last uphill course. Onto V. Rama, I thought this avenue would not end. Past the 3rd turning point along Jones Avenue and we’re back to a familiar territory. The remaining 5K or so had been a lot bearable from then.


Except for one 4K run two nights prior, I did not prepare physically for my first 15K. With 10 races under my belt, what I felt that needed a work-out was my brain. Train the mind and everything would follow. That simple strategy worked. Performance-wise, I could have done better but what’s the rush? I’m taking it one step at a time. I’m just ecstatic to be over it.


So, 15K. A Big Check!

2 comments:

  1. congrats as well bro. i actually saw that long-haired guy running with our group. at some point the race. :-)

    see u sa next run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, katol. :-) alex was all over the place, at times he would lag behind then all of a sudden would show up by my side then pushed ahead. a wandering runner, he he he!

    see you!

    ReplyDelete