Saturday, May 8, 2010

3rd Mandaue City Run

The 3rd Mandaue City Run was my 6th race since I started to embark on this exciting new journey. It was definitely one of the events that many people looked forward to. Not only was it a break from the usual running venue, it also showcased the scenic Cansaga Bay Bridge. I was excited myself because it would be my first to run this course in this part of Cebu. And now, it could be told what really went down when runners took that Mandaue path in the early morning of May 2nd.


Plenty of stories, terrible ones. Apparently people talked as most expectations were not met, from singlet distribution to street marshalling to inaccurate course measurement. These were tangible proofs attributable to the work of the people behind it. But the biggest blunder was hydration. The first water station was a bit okay, the succeeding ones were horrible. Lucky me I had a small change in my pocket, enough for a bottle of water along the road. No pun intended but in the future, maybe runners should just stick to what they do best – RUN – and leave events such as this to legitimate race organizers.


If it’s any consolation, seconds after the race gun was fired, I heard The Yellow Jersey Club being acknowledged. So even before I hit the first 50-meter mark and back to cross the finish line after enduring what seemed to be an epic 10K run, I felt rewarded already. “My” running community is growing and it feels doubly good to see newbies finish their first race. The first time experience, I’m sure, would still linger long after they have recovered from exhaustion, fatigue and fun.


Next stop - SRP Sundown Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment