Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4 Great Reasons to be on the Road

I have been running for more than four months now. In terms of mastering the art, I am still a work in progress. Apart from a few sessions with a personal trainer, I am learning things mostly on my own. Personal experiences are always the best teachers so besides some self-taught basics, I also draw wisdom from people’s stories because they often appear to me as infallible and genuine.

And while in the process of discovering new things, I have started seeing the sport from a whole new perspective. I used to just run for the sake of running. In hindsight, I thought all those times I would literally sign up for almost every run was utterly crazy. In recent past, I realized that there must be a real good reason for the buckets-full of sweat. Beyond personal satisfaction and pride, there must be a true purpose why I run those runs.

I am a wise runner now. I pick which race to run on the basis of “what it is for” rather than “how much”. I am paying for it anyway so I should know where my money is going. On that note, I am happy to share with you blog readers a string of events happening in the eight weeks following July 10. All of which have run-for-a-cause themes and are scheduled two weeks apart. 

The RUNDOWN

July 10 – Energizer Night Race, Parkmall, Mandaue, Cebu – This is a joint program of GMA-7 Kapuso Foundation and Energizer batteries. The event will benefit the hearing-impaired children of Cebu. It is also in support of the National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation Week. The race features three categories, 3K, 5K and 10K. Glow in the dark singlets and headlights will be a major attraction.

August 8 – Run for the FOOTure, Ayala Terraces, Cebu City – This is a project of Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center Residents' Association which will benefit clubfoot babies and the VSMMC Cancer Institute.  The event will headline fun runs in 3K, 5K and 10K Male and Female Open categories 

August 22 – Miles for Smiles (Run for Cleft Care), The Bonifacio Global City, Taguig – This is a run for children with "bingot" or cleft palates.  At the helm is a group of doctors and surgeons that make up the Noordhoof Craniofacial Foundation Philippines, Inc (NCFPI).  The organization endeavors to raise awareness that this condition is treatable and available for free. Events are 3K, 5K, 10K and 16K for the Men’s and Women’s Open and 400-meter dash for kids ages 10 and below.

September 5 – 34th Milo Marathon, Cebu City – It is one of the highly anticipated events of the year. It kicked off the Manila eliminations on July 4 and is set to take place in many parts of the country before it culminates in December. Behind this great event is a sincere commitment to provide running shoes to underprivileged children all over the Philippines. The Cebu leg will feature 3K, 5K, 10K, 21K, and 42K categories. I am excited about this because if all goes well, this will be a milestone run for me. 

Amidst the running frenzy, people can really get OOC (out of control).  My advice is to spend those hard-earned cash on something worthwhile. Be an agent of change.  Be a blessing to others, especially the children. Let’s give them enough hope and motivation to enjoy life more. Always remember the quote "happiness when shared, is doubled".

Stay healthy peeps, run safe! 

9 comments:

  1. Count me in for September 5 – 34th Milo Marathon, Cebu City

    ReplyDelete
  2. aug 22. my calendar has been set. see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to run the milo at 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck, estan! i know you'll complete it with flying colors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syd, so this is the reason for all the preps recorded in your DailyMile, he he he! Good luck on our half-mary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehehehe! YES!!! After 1 year and 3 months of hibernation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, Cheers to the Comeback Kid!!!

    ReplyDelete