Monday, March 1, 2010

Getting Started

The 80s. It was the golden years for the Philippines in the field of athletics. And the stars shone brightly for Lydia de Vega and Isidro del Prado. They lorded over the tracks, here and the rest of Asia. Diay and Del were the epitome of a true Olympian worthy of emulation. They became the nation’s role models as well as mine.

I ran sprints at the age of 10, barefoot on one of those long stretches at a navy camp in Fort Bonifacio. It was a typical afternoon activity for kids my age back then. Building competition among ourselves was an absolute joy. It was also the time muscles on my calves started to develop. My future’s shaping up – so I thought. Well, it could be said now that I took another path.

I have been athletic all my life. While I am able to master a few sports, I remain a work in progress with the rest. Once in awhile, it is a refreshing change to dabble on an uncharted territory and test your limits. Some four weeks ago, that same process led me to a discovery – or, make that rediscovery.

I believe I have come full circle – from the streets to the tracks. The only difference this time is I prefer long-distance runs over short-distance sprints. Talk about maturity, huh. Nevertheless, it’s the same state I get into every time – elated, euphoric!

And as they say, for me, it only just began…

No comments:

Post a Comment