Monday, March 15, 2010

Running Down Memory Lane

A runner’s high is a feeling comparable to passing a grueling test, surviving a job interview or receiving God’s graces every day. And yes, bumping into some high school friends also takes you to that blissful state. In the last forty-eight hours, I had a lengthy conversation with friends from across the globe. An occasion like this does not come by very often so when it does, you’d wish for the clock to just stop ticking.

Time flew so fast. Quarter of a century ago, we were innocent, carefree, immature adolescents at PAFCA, a high school situated in Villamor Air Base. Back then, everything was simple and easy. We didn’t worry too much about the future and who we’re gonna be years later. Life was practically lived one day at a time. It’s the time we experienced the most fun.

So I am dedicating my 8th post to some wonderful and special people I had the privilege of knowing and sharing some of the happiest moments of my teenage life. Here we go…

Mary Rose Williams – one of my few good friends in I-Sampaguita, candid, cheerful, always the life of the party. She was born in Illinois (uttered as I-li-noy she’d always remind us), a typical tisay that endeared many people around her. Like most kids, we had our own share of disagreements, one in particular led to the principal’s office (lol!). As a friend, she’s a true gem. (above photo: Rosebud and daughter Kim)

Rosebud is now Mrs. Delos Santos and is blessed with beautiful children. Her eldest, Kim Ross (left photo, in Inquirer shoot), was the 2005 Elite Model Look Philippines grand winner and currently, one of the country’s most sought-after models for both ramp and print. And she will be our future Miss Philippines. Who else could be prouder than the Momma?


Joel Vergara – The Ricky Martin of IV-Diamond, part-time singer, part-time dancer but a full-time heartthrob. He was the J in the high school pack called CARMAJED. Alongside another pal E, Joel at the time raised the bar of good grooming sa tulong ng salamin at suklay. Our paths crossed because of a common passion – music and disco. (right photo: Joel and his daughter)

Joel now manages a business that provides sound system services. He breeds the same interest and has not totally gone astray. When asked whether he still carries his favorite weapons around? All I got was a thunderous laugh. Atta boy!

Mary Jean Guadalupe (right photo with son Kaden) – She was late for freshman enrollment and was able to join the cream of the crop only the following year. II-Narra guys would always call her Jane so she’s always quick to correct them – it’s Jean! The one thing they didn’t know about this unassuming young lady was despite her quiet persona, she’s a secret kikay (had two ultimate crushes back in high school) and fun-loving too. Yon nga lang, laging may curfew.

Jean now lives in Michigan with her family. She lurks Facebook under an alias, Kaden Anthony, in honor of her adorable firstborn. I am imagining her right now, along with her trademark girlish giggles. And I can’t help but smile.

Mannix Mateo (right photo) – School had already started when he showed up with his 2-inch-heel shoe and an attache case. That dramatic entrance saved an otherwise dull morning and had the entire III-Venus surprised – he was a sight to behold. Mannix was funny, articulate and always a go-getter, a true diva like his idol Madonna. If Glee musical were to be played in school programs that time, he would definitely get the role of Kurt.

Mannix is in the Middle East pursuing a long-time dream. I have said long ago that with his enormous talent, he would go very far. Ang layo na nga ng narating mo, friend. You deserve whatever you have right now. I’m truly proud of you!



To you and the rest of our Section 1 mates, thank you for the memories, good and bad! I look forward to our reunion. Hope it happens real soon.

Ingatz!

2 comments:

  1. Awww... you got me teary eyed now my friend! How sweet of you. All that you have said here is amazingly true. I remember the days when we would debate in english class and even try to get even with each other. So much like teenagers huh!

    Thanks to the INTERNET, we have found each other again. But now, we are truly grown ups and we have matured from all the childish play. Time does really fly so fast.

    I am so touched that i am a part of this and i salute you for your effort to make me look so good here! he he he! I am humbled. Thank you and may you continue to be a blessing to others. I pray that our Father in heaven shower you with all that you need and ask, and may He even put in some extra for your own happiness.

    I am writing a book. And if i may, i would like to have you in it too. But i just started it, and it is a novel so you might get to read the draft in a year! Ha ha ha!

    You take lots of care and keep smiling!

    You are loved! <3

    CIAO my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rosebud, thank you for the kind words. I had a great feeling writing the blog because even for a short while I was able to re-live our childhood’s fondest memories. In my list, they’re really up there. I’m glad to have re-connected with you and some of our schoolmates again sa tulong ng teknolohiya. And I hope we should stay this way.

    I believe we’re just going around in circles. Between friends, the bridge has neither been broken nor burned and I’m truly grateful for that. I chose to regard you and the others in the blog in a good way because that’s how I wanted to remember you. And in my heart, that’s how you guys would continue to be.

    I’ll look forward to the book you’re working on. No worries on when it should be ready – I’ll wait, patiently.

    Take care of yourself and the young ones!

    ReplyDelete